Background

Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Our New Year

Our New Year's week started with having the missionaries over for dinner Sunday night.  We have had sisters in our ward the whole time we've been there, but we said goodbye to them a couple weeks ago, and now we have elders!  We fed them a deer roast (which is quickly becoming our missionary dinner staple because we always seem to have new missionaries by them time we have them for dinner again).

On Monday we had a baby appointment with the doctor.  Everything is measuring well, and Joey's heartbeat was 150 bpm (so it went up from the 134 bpm it was the time before).

On New Year's Eve we went down to the Museum of Nature and Science in Denver with Neal's family because the Mythbuster's exhibit was in town.  Every year, Neal's family chooses a "movie marathon" theme to watch on New Year's Day, and this year it was Mythbusters.  When we found out the exhibit was in Denver, we decided we had to go!  There were a lot of super cool parts to the exhibit.  They had a bunch of stuff from the actual show, and then a bunch of "experiments" you could do.

The actual shark from the shark episode: 

The backwards driving car:

All of us that were at the exhibit:


Smaller scale Hindenburg:

Hover machine that didn't work:

Personal tornado shelter that DID work:


The "fart" position and exploding water heater:

"Will you get more wet faster walking or running" and the phone book swing (Neal's completely being held up by phone books interlaced together).

Neal doing the cliff hanger.  He held on for a full minute!  Guess that's what he gets for being a rock climber :)

The "automatic" arrow shooter

Me with the outside display

After the exhibit, we went to a seriously delicious Chinese restaurant that Brian and Steph suggested.  I had Walnut Chicken, and it was incredibly delicious.  After that we headed to Donna and Randy's house and hung out and ate dinner.  After dinner we headed down to my parents' house.  It was just my parents and us, so we played a card game with them, and just hung out and celebrated at midnight with sparkling cider.

New Years Day we went to Donna and Randy's to watch Mythbusters with the rest of the family.  I had to go to work that night, so I left early.  I ended up going home from work because a lovely stomach bug presented itself half way through my shift that night.  Note to all preggo ladies - do anything and everything you can to avoid catching a stomach bug.  It's about 100 times worse when you're pregnant because you spend a lot of your time laying there worrying about how your little bugger is going to be affected, so you feel guilty for being sick on top of feeling like poo actually being sick.

The rest of the week was pretty boring.  I finished out my last week of working nights after I felt better, and the next week moved to day shift.

I think the only other thing about the new year semi-worth mentioning is what my New Year's resolution is.  I normally don't make one, because instead I try to constantly set new goals throughout the year, but this year I decided I had one that was worth making.  

I want to make it through the rest of pregnancy, labor, delivery, and the first year of having a kiddo in one piece.  Let me explain.  I don't mean I want everything to go how I think it should, or that I want to have the perfect child with tons of super cute baby photos throughout the first year.  What I mean is that I want to make it to the end of the year still having a moment (no matter how short) to study my scriptures and say my prayers instead of letting it go by the wayside.  I want to make sure I still focus on mine and Neal's relationship by going on a date once a month and still spending time focusing on each other, instead of using "We don't have time or anyone to watch him" as an excuse.  I realize things are going to change, and I realize there aren't a lot of things I will be in control of.  But I figured those were two things I COULD be in control of, and make a real effort at.

Happy 2014!!

No comments:

Post a Comment