Background

Pages

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Patio garden

For a while I've wanted to do a small patio garden with just a couple vegetable plants.  I felt it was really important for us to do as much as we could to be self reliant, and that it would save us money because we could pick what we needed and use it rather than buy it at the store and have it go bad (there's only two of us to eat these vegetables after all).

When we got back from camping for Memorial Day we decided to go to Home Depot to look at grills.  We had been wanting a new one for a while because ours is very close to dying.  We chose to go because we figured they'd be having a sale on grills.  After we decided which grill we wanted, I wandered into the garden center and began looking at gardening pots.


^^^This was Neal after he put the grill back together at home...he was exhausted that day!!

I then reminded Neal of my desire to plant a garden (for the millionth time he probably thought) and he finally gave in.  We started with just one big pot, and planted lettuce, spinach, and a seed mixture of a couple different kinds of lettuce and spinach.




About a week later I woke up to this:


And then a week after that they looked like this:

And now they've grown even bigger!  I'm going to have to thin them out though, they won't be able to grow big with how many plants there are!!

We were having such success with the lettuce that Neal agreed to let me get a tomato plant and a basil plant.  I LOVE basil, and I love tomatoes, so I'm pretty excited to have these plants mixed in as well!


Hopefully they will keep growing strong, and we'll have lots of delicious lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, and basil all summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment