Background

Pages

Sunday, February 22, 2015

"Just" a Stay at Home Mom

About a year ago I made the final decision to be a stay at home mom.  There were a lot of people who didn't agree with my decision and were quite vocal about it.  I spent a lot of my time trying to explain why I felt it was so important, but I really couldn't put it into words.  I just knew it was what I wanted to do.

I absolutely love being a stay at home mom.  I've heard many people say that the transition for them was hard, but for me, it honestly wasn't.  I'm not perfect at it, but I really do love it.  Even still, there has been the occasional time that I wondered what our life would be like if I had kept working.

Until the other week when we found out that Joey had pneumonia.  As I said in my previous blog post, we took him to an urgent care because our regular pediatricians office couldn't get him in that day.  As we were sitting in the waiting room, a young man who was sick came in with his mom.  His mom was on the phone the entire time trying to find someone that could watch him for the rest of the day because she had to return to work.

We spent about three hours in urgent care.  The PA kept apologizing for keeping us there for so long.  I assured her that I really had nothing else more important to do, and that my focus was on helping Joey.

When we got home, Joey was exhausted.  I laid him down for a nap, and he woke up about 10 minutes later because of a coughing fit and a stuffy nose.  I finally got him calmed down and he fell back to sleep on my chest.  As I laid on the couch with him sleeping on my chest, I felt so grateful that I got to be the one calming, comforting, and taking care of my child. I felt so strongly that I was definitely doing what was right for our family.  I felt so strongly that every sacrifice we have to make will be 100% worth it.  I felt so grateful that we had been blessed with such an incredible blessing.  I felt so grateful that my husband is willing to go to work everyday so that I can stay home, and that he has such a wonderful job that allows us to still be secure financially.

I know it's not right or possible for everyone, but it's right for me, and I'm so grateful we decided that I would be "just" a stay at home mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment